Pages

Staying Ilonggo Under Pressure

Cadet from Iloilo shares life in the barracks  

April 19, 2013 (Published in The News Today Libre)

Iloilo City- Crisp white and black mandarin collars form two perfect lines under the 9 am sun. Berets and rifles rested perfectly on strong statures that activate at the command to march. Legs fold and unfold in a constant angle amidst civilians unaccustomed to the display of military discipline.


It is hard to believe that the group is only in their second year at the Philippine Military Academy (PMA). Their conduct breaks the often undomesticated image of a college student (beer barrels and perpetual hangovers). "Gabay Laya", the alias of Batch 2015, show their eagerness to impress with unflinching poker faces.

A stern looking young man in an immaculate crew cut stands among the crowd before they were called to the ranks. The first word he said broke his tough exterior. One couldn’t miss the tune of Hiligaynon.

“Of course it is hard. Sometimes, after a hard day’s work, you just remove to your bunk and cry. Especially, because you’re Ilonggo, you miss the sweetness of the people.” 

Cadet Emmanuel Moñtano Tactay is an Ilonggo and a native of Brgy. Zamora. He is part of the Black platoon that showcased cadet drill skills at CPU’s oval field last Thursday. He entered the PMA after his third year of college under the Electronic and Communications Engineering program of the Central Philippine University­ – a little late considering the exclusive academy accepts fresh graduates from high school.
Cadet Emmanuel Montano Tactay
The Philippine Military Academy’s entrance procedure is composed of a written test and then passers move on medical examination. Cadet Emmanuel tells me, “It is really my dream to be an official of the AFP”. He shares that the military school presented a great opportunity for him who comes from a struggling family.

Emmanuel underwent two takes of the entrance exams. The first time, he passed the written exams, but he recalls “the fare and the other fees were a little too much for us that time.” The second time around, PMA promised to reimburse the fees and provide lodging until the end of the week-long medical examinations.

Cadet Emmanuel Montaño Tactay is now a 3rd Class Cadet or in civilian terms, a sophomore of the academy. “[I remember] all the previous efforts, the resources spent on fares, and processing of documents. Now I'm a 3rd class cadet, I try to take care of where I am now.”, the cadet tells me humbly.

“Earlier, my parents were opposed to the idea of me entering PMA. Of course, I understand where they are coming from.”, Emmanuel shares trying not to laugh. He then enumerates without any trail of regret the hardships he will face in the military. “I will never stay in a place, my assignments will vary and I will relocate often. And everyone knows about the dangers of being a soldier.”

“But I told my family that being able to serve the country is a great honor. And of course the prestige. No one in my family has a military background and the prestige of having a soldier, I would like them to have that. To help the country is the highest honor one could attain.” 


Now, Cadet Emmanuel’s parents serve as his greatest inspiration. “If I have time, I write letters to my parents and sometimes, I get to read their letters. They underwent a complete 360 because now they tell me to do well in my training. They serve as my greatest inspiration.”

He volunteers that being Ilonggo is very important for him, it helped him survive the transition period wherein a lot of cadets fell out of the training. “Being an Ilonggo helped me remain positive. What is special about us is that we can smile, we can laugh about things even though they cause unbelievable stress.”

Cadet Emmanuel invites Ilonggos to join the PMA, assuring that “PMA does not only teach you military conduct. It also has top-notch academics. You are not only molded in the mind, but your character and spiritual growth is also prioritized. Aside from that, you enter the PMA as a full government scholar. It is a great opportunity for people like me,who comes from the lower stratum of society.”

The young man before me remained in perfect poise all through out: confident but humble, brave but calm, critical, and most importantly, truthful. His demeanor showed the holistic education the PMA instills.

If I was a stringent advocate of social order, I would have enrolled myself in PMA immediately. However, I prefer more chaos myself.

He described the training for those who would like to go into the PMA by quoting The Origin of Species: “It is really the survival of the fittest. It feels like the Spartan training at times. (smiles) But I always remember, it is the greatest pride for an Ilonggo like me to serve my home country.” /LLutero

0 comments :: Staying Ilonggo Under Pressure

Post a Comment